10.04.2007

Bursting inboxes, clean clothes...and Rocky.

I deemed tonight laundry-and-go-through-the-176-unread-messages-in-my-inbox night.

Laundry? Done.

Inbox? Not so much. I think I've only made it down to 134 unread messages, after hours of sifting through email after email of words of the day and Spanish words of the day. If you've emailed me in the past month or so, I might have even stumbled across that as well. Sure, the inbox is full of distractions knocking me off my course...like little reminders to buy more vitamins, look for plane tickets to Hawaii....look at the newest comment someone left me on Facebook. Ahhh, yes.

But now as the clock is nearing midnight, my eyes and body are telling me it's time to put this “Monday” to rest so “Tuesday” can come. Despite my drooping eyes, though, I fell drawn to this spot...this poor neglected little site that once held oodles and oodles of my thoughts and theories. So rather than write it off, I'll...write it...down. *Ehem*

So. Just what am I doing? What am I and my Monday Thursday doing?

In honor of time and sleep, I'll give the fast-food-chain version instead of going for the five-course-meal story.

Basically, I finally took up a friend's offer to take a job traveling the U.S. “Mobil marketing” they call it. I can try and explain what it is that I do... here it goes...

I am one of six crew members of a team on the Walgreen's Wellness Tour. We travel 100 percent of the time (save our two months off from the middle of November to the middle of January—which is when I'm going to go visit my sister...in Hawaii!). We go around (with our big bus decked out inside like a doctor's office), typically to low-income areas, giving free health screenings to all who care for one. We check glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure, body mass index, and bone density. And, yes. It's absolutely free. Sometimes I'm outside dancing to the tunes and signing people up. Sometimes I'm doing the bp, bmi, and bd screenings. Depends on the day. I actually don't mind the work. It really is a somewhat rewarding job because a) I'm not selling anything and b) many people are extremely appreciative of the service.

And so, for five days a week we occupy ourselves with such work. Then, on the glorious days of Tuesday and Wednesday, we usually have the freedom to roam about as we please. This is my third week (I think), and in my “weekends” I have gone to...

  • The Philadelphia Art Museum
  • The Arlington National Cometary
  • The Holocaust Museum
  • The Iwo Jima Memorial
  • The National Archives
  • The National Museum of Air and Space
  • The National Gallery
  • The National Portrait Gallery
  • The FDR Memorial

As well as....

  • A Metrix concert
  • Salsa dancing
  • The New Jersey bridge...thanks to a little navigational error.
  • Um...the mall...


So. I think it's a pretty sweet deal. It's quite amazing how this job "fell into place.” Really. This job is not even close to the other jobs I was applying for. I had applied for a few positions in non-profit organizations in D.C., and I was looking elsewhere for similar employment.

But then. One week. That travel bug bit me again....I questioned whether or not I was really ready and would be happy just settling in somewhere. So I began I to look at jobs on cruise ships. And then I talked with an older girl at church who encouraged me to travel as much as I could now.

And then a few days later my resume was being sent off for this job, and I was interviewing on the phone.

God has an interesting way of doing things and turning our hearts. How do I know this is of Him? Because it bears a striking resemblance to how He has worked in my life in the past. Like a bolt of lightening in the utter darkness that cracks the silence and ignites a great fire. Just like that. No forewarning. Just comes in and smiles as I marvel at His faithfulness and attention to the details of my life and the desire of my heart. Once again,

And so. That is the kb update. I'll try not to make myself out to be a liar again and really update this more. Sorry if this seems like a sudden end, but it's time for me to succumb to the sleep that longs to take me:)

P.S. In case you're wondering where I've been, I started in Philly and now am in Richmond, Virginia (spending my off days in D.C.--a new love of mine). Next week we head to the Virginia Beach area for a week, then we'll head to New Orleans for three weeks, and finish the '07 tour in Birmingham, Alabama.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
For some reason I decided to check your blog, something I haven't done since I graduated from Lee. I'm really happy to hear about this opportunity you have to travel with work. I would love to travel more, but it's not in the plans right now. Anyway, I miss and love you lots! I wish you the best. :-)
~Alison