The need for two new tires brought me to Discount Tires yesterday, and I found myself sitting on a rod iron chair outside for a half an hour. I had brought a notebook to try and figure out some finances while I waited. I quickly did my figuring and moved on to writing a new post.
I'm sure it was a lovely post. It was about my family on Sunday. I started telling how my dad hugged me and said "I love you" before he left for his business trip...and commented how good can come from not-so-good circumstances. I then moved on to my day at my grandparents and how we spent most of the day sorting through their house packed full with 50 years worth of stuff. I told of how I came home with three boxes of treasures: two filled with old Wedgewood china and one filled with my own little finds such as an old glass medicine bottle for my bottle collection, a daisy painting by my grandma's uncle, a tin plate of the Hawaiian islands, an antique brass bugle, a Norman Rockwell picture of a Cubs game, and various other treasures.
I'm sure, had I finished the new entry, I would have moved on to Monday, and briefly told of finally getting to talk with my sister-in-law (two girls under 2 don't allow for much time for chatting). And certainly I would have said that it's good to have someone who will ask the harder questions...questions that make you think...and how sometimes, being able to have answers to those hard questions, being able to talk through the how's and the why's can bring greater peace than if those concerns had not been brought up, lest one be offended or defensive.
Ah, but I didn't finish writing my new post yesterday. Instead, as I was writing a nice older gentleman came and sat in the chair two feet from mine. He sat there for a few minutes before asking me what I was writing. He commended me for writing, he himself not really enjoying writing or reading, even though he went to school and was in the Navy. We talked a little longer until he introduced himself as Sam. I told him how I go to school in Tennessee and of my plans for the summer--"Good for you," he said. He told me how he turned 70 on Saturday and how he retired 15 years ago, but got bored after a year and got another job. It was a very pleasant time indeed, and I left delighted that I had met Sam. I rarely meet random people, keeping to myself mostly. But meeting Sam reminded me of what joy can be found in going outside my little Kelly bubble. One of the resolutions I set at the beginning of the semester in girls' group was to look outside myself every day and make conscious efforts to serve not only my friends and family, but those I do not know. We truly don't know how our words or actions could bring life and light to the spirit who needs it. Thanks Sam for the friendly reminder and encouragement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You're welcome, cutie. ;)
Very funny.
bring your little Kelly-bubble to us.
We'll show you a hundred ways to pop it.
Are you really really really coming tomorrow?
we are happy.
be forewarned: there will be other extra people here for the weekend.
Kelly, thanks for the photos
they are great.
Have a safe trip to NY, let me
know where I can reach you to
send copies from the photos we
took here. Sabrina said she
got great pictures on Kaitlyn's
camera.
Sherry
Great, I'm glad you got them.
You can email me at ksberg@sbcglobal.net, and we can go from there.
Thank you:)
Post a Comment