3.20.2006

For Good.

The first days of school always have an air about them. Students returning from summer vacation might not be completely thrilled about not being able to sleep in (or maybe they’re thrilled that they will), but there is an anticipation for what the day will bring; for this day will help dictate what the rest of the semester will be like. This day held a little more for me. This was my first day of school in 13 months, and I was thrilled to finally be at a university after my one year hiatus from college and three years of confusing contemplations and unfulfilling work. It was Wednesday, and my last class wasn’t until 4:00. I’m sure I arrived a prompt five to seven minutes early and took my seat in the second row, center section, right chair of the left table. The class began to fill, and soon our petite, lively teacher entered. My, she’s energetic. Well, at least class wouldn’t be boring (or would it…). Introduction to Mass Media. Susie Battle. HUM104. MW 4:00-5:15.

Now, as with many other classes, the time for introductions came, but we weren’t just to introduce ourselves to the class, we were to introduce one of our fellow students to the class. So, we paired up. At first I was in a group of three with the girl sitting one chair away from me and some guy with a shaved head sitting at the table in front of me. This only lasted momentarily as the girl sitting in front of me to my left was un-paired. We paired and began this mini get-to-know-you session, armed with pens and note cards. We introduced ourselves and told where we were from. She was from Potsdam, New York. Potsdam. Hmmm…that sounds so familiar. She was surprised to hear that I would have heard of Potsdam, but I contended that the name indeed had a familiar ring to my ear. We moved on, giving majors and classifications and whatnot. When it was time to introduce our new acquaintances to the class, she broke the monotonous precedent set by our peers and proclaimed with certainty the newly-learned information on her note card. My, this is one confident girl.

Facebook was what really brought us together, enlightening us of our common loves for both Lost and photography. And then one weekend, I sent this girl a message upon her unexpected return home. Funny thing is, it’s not usually my nature to do such things with people I barely know…but thankfully I did because it opened up the door for more passing comments about Lost and church and why “Potsdam” sounded familiar to me (It was the place of a conference in World War II…but it was Germany, not New York). Eventually, by the end of the semester, passing comments turned into conversations, and a strictly classroom acquaintance became a friend.

And it all started on that first day of class.

Little did I know that on this first day of class, I was meeting a woman who would come to play a huge role in my life. Little did I know that she would be one of my closest friends, a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear, a mouthpiece of wisdom, a laughing companion and an instrument for change in my life. Little did I know that the guy with the shaved head in front of me was her good friend and would become my neighbor.

Little did I know that I would spend my spring break with this New Yorker. Little did I know that I would go with her to her home and find out how she could be so unique and special…not to mention discover that she’s really not as observant as we think she is. Little did I know, on that hot and humid August day, while I was writing Potsdam, NY on a 3.5x5 inch note card that I would move there within the year.

Little did I know that I would come to love this girl not only for what she would “do” and “be” for me, but that I would love her just for who she is.

The first day of school. We just never know who we meet may turn out to be our good friends. We just never know how it could change the course of our lives.

Oh, what a difference a day makes.

2 comments:

Lore Ferguson said...

Aww, Kel! That's the nicest stuff ever. Thanks!

Darlene Sinclair said...

God appointments are amazing!

What is your full name for the plane ticket? Things are cementing -- sort of. The plans keep changing a bit in details, but the intentions and dates remain. Once tickets are purchased, the cement will begin to harden. Such fun times will meet all you Spanish adventurers!