3.24.2006

Preventing armageddon.

I was listening to a Focus on the Family program yesterday, and they were talking about the woman who got on Good Morning America and criticized stay-at-home moms. Now, this is enough to anger me, but when she is quoted saying that stay-at-home mothers are a "threat to civilization," I must hold myself back from hunting this woman down. Linda Hershman says, "I think it's a mistake for these highly educated and capable women to stay at home. An educated, competent adult's place is in the office."

Her whole argument is illogical. First, a "threat to civilization"? Please. Civilization would only improve if more children were parented and taken care of. And wouldn't the true end to civilization be the lack of mothers, not the increase? Think about it. As for her totally offensive statement about "an educated, competent adult's place is in the office"...wow. I'm almost left speechless at such brashness. Doesn't an "educated, competent" mother bring about more "educated, competent" people by using her knowledge and wisdom to raise "educated, competent" children?

Hershman says feminism has failed because too many women want to be mothers. I say, good; let feminism die and let femininity and motherhood resound. Motherhood is not a threat to civilization. Rather it is what sustains it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, she has a lot of nerve. I would not ever criticize a mother that wanted to stay at home to take care of her children. A woman that puts her family before her career is quite the woman, and I must say, I hope to be that woman one day. Before, I had respect for a mother that wanted to stay at home, but now, I've become a woman that would like to do the same. Thank you Kelly, for all your help and being who you are. You're quite amazing! I truly appreciate all the encouragement you've given me and continue to. I'm blessed to have you as my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention my name, this is Alison. :-)

David Perry said...

Word! Stay at home mom's are amazing... Technically though, I can see stay at home mom's being a threat to the feminist movement. It really defies everything they stand for: strong, independent, outspoken...

Not to say that women aren't and can't have/do those things, but it would seem that the Biblical model for women defies the feminist viewpoint. Virtuous, Submissive to their husbands, Dependent on their husband to financially provide what the family needs (for those who stay at home... )...

The question I ask...is why should we as Christians submit to the ways of the world. I think it's about time raise up and pour into a generation who is saturated in the Lord through mothering and fathering in an unconventional world defying way!

Darlene Sinclair said...

Thanks for the link -- it was interesting.