5.29.2006

This flip-flops are made for flip-floppin'...(Part II)

Bowling was the plan. I like bowling. And I wanted to meet new people and hang out with the one I already knew. So I said yes. And so my new friend and I headed to Potsdam to meet a group for an entertaining night of bowling.

A Closed for Memorial Day sign greeted our caravan of cars. And so we dawdled in the parking lot for awhile, looking somewhat like a wanna-be gang...except not with pimped-out cars. Really we were doing what all groups of people who don't go to bars do...try and figure out what to do. I recommended the Cleveland, Tennessee stand-by of Wal-Mart (or "Wal-Marts" if we're talking colloquially here), but alas, that doesn't work up here in the north country. Someone finally took initiative and decided on a bonfire. Sweet.

And so a bonfire it was. After a brief excursion to P&C for proper bonfire snackage, we rendezvoused and the procession of vehicles headed out once again. No one quite knew where we were headed, and I could almost assure you that only one could get back there again (the same one who knew before). After traveling a series of back roads, we found ourselves...well...nowhere. All we could tell when we stepped out of our cars is that there were absolutely no lights around and there seemed to be some sort of wooded area ahead. "Uh, so, where are we having the fire?" was the common question....and I don't think there ever was an answer, just a call to follow...follow through the mud and up the mountain and through the prickers and over the rocks until reaching a plateau (where in the day I'm sure would provide a stunning view of the mountain range). Yes, at 11 o'clock at night, we found ourselves hiking through the pitch black with only our cell phones and one flash light to guide our group of 18... a group donned in flip-flops and a skirt and shorts and sandals and white linen pants.

An unexpected adventure, I'd say.

I tried not to speak too much about the ridiculousness of hiking up a mountain in Old Navy flip-flops. For this was my induction into the group...and I really try to stay away from the prissy-girl image as much as possible. I mean...I get dirty...and have fun doing so...I just rather prefer to be prepared for such occasions. But, I'm also adaptable, and had a rather great time...meeting new people..getting to know some a bit more...being made fun of by them (I think I'm in)...

And so we made it. And we had a fun and fabulous time despite a little dirt, a few stray fire debris flecks burning us, some scratches and....oh yes...who could forget the kingdom of caterpillars who took quite a liking to us (one in particular who decided he wanted to take a few home as pets, or something...but Carina wasn't too hot on the idea of them in her car).

And so was my first adventure in the north country. Many are to follow, I'm sure--probably of a different nature, but adventures nonetheless.

8 comments:

Lore Ferguson said...

oh my goodness. i am so happy that you're having fun. you have no idea how glad that makes me. i mean, i'm having fun too, i'll have to tell you about it later. . . i mean, when we finally DO get to talk.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

that was crazy. next time we really will go bowling!

beans

thisrequiresthought said...

so glad to hear you are not lonely for company.

do they know you are a gypsy?

BTW, the camera was on a weird setting, and the pics of you and your gypsy-caravan didn't come out.

come pose again.
anytime!

thisrequiresthought said...

you can come paint this week. Bill has a few days off, and he's workin' loke a dawg.

All depends on the weather.
call us.bring a friend.
or just come on over!

thisrequiresthought said...

that's LIKE a dawg....

Paul said...

It's so fun to read your adventures. A familiar place from a fresh set of eyes...and just a tad jealous you get to spend time with my friends and I don't.

Lore Ferguson said...

my sentiments exactly, paul!

j. said...

I'm a little jelous that you get way more comments than me.