Yesterday I found myself on my knees for an hour. But no, I wasn’t praying. I was scrubbing our kitchen floor that I never knew wasn’t grey until yesterday. I swept it and began mopping it…until I realized that the sponge mop wasn’t just going to cut it. To get it really clean, I was going to need to scrub that baby. As I scrubbed the dirt away, I began thinking of analogies (because I’m always coming up with analogies…I once made a devotional based on White Out) of how when we fail to do minor housekeeping tasks in our own life, we eventually get to a place where just sweeping and mopping won’t do…we have to get down and dirty and use a little scrubbie to loose the junk that’s been caked there for so long. I could have turned it into quite the sermonette. However, I realized that I didn’t really want to turn my blog into Brio Magazine again (thought there’s nothing wrong it occasionally happening). What I really concerned me was that in the future, we regularly clean our house so that I wouldn’t have to do that again. Beca says I probably won’t have to anyway because the floor is so scared of my vigorous scrubbing that it now throws the dirt back up.
Ah, but it’s good to be back to this little world of blogging. Schoolwork and schedules and social engagements have kept me rather occupied. It fact, I really should be reading right now... But I’m not. Because I wanted to share a few tidbits of contemplations…
First of all, there are only five weeks until fall break. Second, I discovered this morning that I have 27 weeks until graduation. Oh golly. I’m going to have to grow up and get a career…Exciting. Scary.
But most of all, I wanted to share this secret… I miss family. Just in the past few days I’ve really felt that lack of family in my little heart. Sure, we have our hodgepodge family here, but it’s not the same as family. I miss my girls. My roommates can attest to the fact that when I walk by the pictures of my nieces on my bookshelf, I stop, stare longingly and say, “Ooohh. I just want to squeeze your little cheeks!” I miss my sister. She and I had our rough spots over the years (as can be imagined when there’s 7 years separating us), but in the last few, we’ve come to be friends, and we have a rather jolly time together…since we’re a bit alike and all:) And I miss my brother, who I will still hold as the funniest person I know (he’s awesome). Mom. Dad. Sis-in-law. Even Gram and Gramps with their funny antics.
But more than missing my family, I miss being around family. But not just any families. This one. And these folks. And of course the whole lot of those belonging to her (including them).
But I don’t have time to dwell on such emotions. There’s reading to do. At least it's interesting reading...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Speaking of social engagements, I'm looking forward to tomorrow, it is much needed. I can't tell you how many times I stare at pictures of Clint, and my other family and friends, its rather sad, but I'll be with them again soon. Wow, that's impressive, with the mopping. I was sitting in the kitchen eating lunch, staring at the dirty dishes, and I couldn't stand it, I had to wash them in the remainder of time I had left before class. I like enjoy your blogs. I'm thinking about doing one about self righteous people, what do you think? ;-) I hope all is well...see you soon! Love ya!
so you'll come visit us sooner than later, right? 'cause we'd love to see you!
Wow -- did you say 27 weeks? That is pretty amazing. Maybe you'll find a job up here. Or more schooling. Or just a short break anyways? Louissa will be home by then (supposedly...) And, of course, we will all still be around. The spring musical will be over (I think.) We are doing "High Button Shoes", which is quite a bit like The Music Man.
But long before then, maybe you can slip up for a visit. It is far, costly, and inconvenient, I know. But still, it may work out. And between Bri's guest room, and now mine, I am sure we can find plenty of room for such a special girl! ;)
You're always welcome in this family, ya know.
And I don't just say that--I meant it whole-heartedly!
Post a Comment