11.21.2006

Just a sentimental girl...

For those who don’t know, I’m an emotional, sentimental girl.

Oh sure, rumors swirl around that I'm one tough cookie. But even tough cookies get soft if you soak them in milk long enough.

My excellent subconscious, selective memory works to further perpetuate such emotional sentimentality.

Thanksgiving is in two days. My housemates and most of my fellow classmates are leaving today to return home.

And I’m not afraid to admit that I’m emotional just thinking about not being home for the holiday.

It’s only the second holiday I’ve not been home. Six years ago, Thanksgiving Day found me in Edinburgh, Scotland, eating a rather unconventional turkey-day meal.

I love traditions and perhaps this is what I will miss most about not being home. I’ll miss watching Home Alone…an annual tradition that started a looong time ago when it was shown on television every Thanksgiving. We would joke about it and mock it at times, but we watched every year. The first year it wasn’t played, we protested and went straight to Hollywood Video to rent a copy. Hey, tradition is tradition.

And then there is the Berg ladies’ tradition of rising in the dark morning the day after Thanksgiving to hit all the sales. Oh, those are good times, let me tell you. Last year I got up before 4a.m. to stand in line at Circuit City for a laptop she wanted to get. We didn’t rise early enough to get the computer, but we did rise early enough to create quite a memory.

And since I’m talking Thanksgiving here, I can’t neglect to mention the yummy food that Mom makes. My roommates are probably so sick of hearing me lament over not getting to eat the Thanksgiving fare made specially for my dietary restrictions. Oh, man. I’m having Mom freeze me some food to have when I come home for Christmas break.

Oh, I’ll survive. I know! It could be worse! At least I have a friend and family here to spend the holiday with! Thanksgiving in Tennessee won’t be a tragedy. I’ve been extremely blessed the past year and a half to be with my family as often as I have. Perhaps this time will help me to be more empathetic. Surely there is good to come from it.

But I can’t help but miss the traditions I’m missing out on. I talked with my mom the other night for an hour and she said she wasn’t sure what she’d do without me to go shopping with. And she said that my Aunt Maria was sad to hear I wouldn’t be up since she hasn’t seen me since Easter.

*sigh*

My family’s far from perfect, but they’re still my family. And I personally believe family and holidays go hand-in-hand.

So, I’ll hold back the tears and enjoy a few days of rest and serving here.

Sure, I’ll be a bit emotional every once in a while.

But that’s just my lot as a sentimental girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you know I've never seen Home Alone???? Sorry you don't get to go home for Thanksgiving. For me, this is actually the first thanksgiving in 3 years that I do get to be with my family. Hurray! Love you Kelly. You need to call me sometime. I want to see you over Christmas if at all possible. Oh, and I still can't remember my name on here. I suppose I should look it up. I have it stored somewhere, I think.